Before applying, please check if you meet all of our requirements.
- - You are an ambitious university student with the desire to deep dive into entrepreneurship and run your own startup.
- - You have a hands-on mindset and you execute fast on a high level.
- - You are between the ages of 20 and 25.
- - You have proficient written and spoken english skills.
- - You can commit 20 hours per week in the online program.
- - You can commit your full time, if accepted into the offline program.
- - You are currently enrolled in a university program from a university in either Brazil, Colombia or Mexico.
- - You are currently enrolled in a bachelors program at least
Additionally to the Personal-Requirements, please make sure you also fulfil following:
- - You have a startup and a working MVP (minimum viable product).
- - From an MVP we expect that it actually fulfills the basic functions of your solution and can be shown to customers who can use it on a daily basis.
- - You have already defined the need of this solution with potential customers.
- - You have first entrepreneurial. experiences in a startup or previous incubator/accelerator experiences.
- - You have a personal connection to the problem you are solving.
- - If you have no startup running, please apply with your startup idea. You can state your idea in the application and present the idea during your 5min pitch video. However, we expect that you will have realized the idea by the beginning of the online-program.
Please prepare the following documents before applying:
- CV / Resume
- - Please submit your CV / Resume in English and include a picture of yourself. The length should be max. 2 pages and you should outline your education and practical experience.
- Sample: Harvard Resume Template
- Pitchdeck (of your startup)
- - Please submit a pitchdeck of your startup in English (10-15 slides). The slides could / should cover the following areas: Introduction (name, logo, slogan), Problem, Solution, Product, Customers, Market size and potential, Competition & USP, Business Model (revenue stream, process, etc.), Achievements & Roadmap, Investment (Shareholder composition, etc.), Team, Contact Information.
- - Statistics, animations, etc. should be included whenever possible.
- - Focus on the core and don’t get lost in details.
- Introduction video (1 minute)
- - Please submit a 1 minute video introducing the founder(s) and their past experience in English.
- - Please feel free to be creative!
- - Requirements: Please do not add any background music to your video. Please do not recite a script written beforehand. This is not the place to submit a demo or promotional video.
- Pitch video (max. 3 minutes)
- - Please submit a pitch of your startup which is not longer than 3 minutes. You must use the pitchdeck submitted by you for this programme.
- - Focus on the content. We don’t expect any fancy equipment, so a video recorded with your phone or laptop is also fine. Still, please make sure the audio quality is good.
- - Feel free to show your product in the video!
Please make sure you submit all of the documents complete and on time.
We are looking forward to your application!!
Q: Is the program really free of costs?
A: Yes, we don't charge anything for the 3-month online program. During the offline program we will cover all the basic costs of the stay here in Switzerland. Together with the support of our partners, we cover the participants’ costs throughout their participation in the program. This includes travel,- accomodation,- living and support for startup related expenses.
Q: Can I participate in only one of the two programs?
A: Every participant has to apply for the online program. At the end of it the best startups will be invited to join the offline program. It is not possible to join the offline program in Switzerland only.
Q: What are important dates I shouldn’t miss?
A: Our first application deadline is at the end of May. The chances are higher to be accepted in this round. Our second application deadline is at the end of July. We will inform you on the success of your application soon after the deadlines.
For more dates please check the program timeline or send us a message.
Q: At what stage is my startup supposed to be?
A: You find the requirements for participating on the top of this page.
Q: Can I join the program without an idea?
A: No, we expect every applicant to have a startup idea. You can apply with just an idea but should have realized this idea by the beginning of the online program.
Q: Can I join the program without a team?
A: Yes, you can join the online program as a “Solo Founder” but we encourage you to find a Co-founder during the online program. Only Startups with at least two team members will be considered for the offline program in Switzerland.
Q:Who is running the Fellowship Program?
A: The Fellowship Program is run by START Global and its partners. In close collaboration with our main partners such as the University of St. Gallen we aim to make the Fellowship Program a truly amazing and valuable experience for you.
Q: Who is supporting the Fellowship Program?
A: Please check out our partner page. There are our main partners from the last iteration listed. We are constantly onboarding new partners for the next iteration.
Q: Why is the Offline program taking place in Switzerland?
A: The program is run by students and professionals from the University of St. Gallen, where START Global is located too. The offline program will allow you to network with our partners on a much larger scale which will enable you to emerge yourself in the European ecosystem better.
Q: How do I apply?
A: You can apply via the application form on the application site. The application is demanding, therefore we encourage you to take enough time for the application.
Q: Can we continue our studies in parallel to the online program?
A: Yes, this is possible during the online program. However, we strongly advise you to pause your studies for the duration of the START Fellowship program since the program will demand 10 hours active participation and an additional 10 hours (/week) to improve your startups. All in all, we expect you to make considerable progress during the online program as only the best will be selected to come to Switzerland.
Q: What can I expect?
A: The START Fellowship is a program to foster your entrepreneurial skills and provides a place to grow your startup and your personality. We will invite the best startups from the online program to the offline program in St. Gallen, Switzerland.
Q: Will I have a chance to travel to Switzerland?
A: Only the best startups will be accepted into the offline program.
Q: How do you deal with having participants in different time zones?
A: We definitely have the different time zones across Brazil, Colombia, Mexico and Switzerland in mind. The program will mostly take place around noon and afternoon Colombian time.
Q: How many participants are accepted into the online program?
A: There is a limited number of spots available in the online program. The participants will be selected based on our selection process and a strong focus will be put on the idea, the application video and the team. Once accepted we expect you to push through the program.
Q: How many hours of program do we have per week?
A: During the online program we plan with 15-20 hours of content per week. In addition to that, you will need time to complete the online educational part and work on your startup. Please have a look at the example weeks in order to get a feeling for the workload.
Q: How many applicants are selected for the offline program?
A. We will select the best startups from the online program . With this said, please take your time to fill in the application form with care and effort to assure a high-quality application.
Q: Will I stay in Switzerland during the 6 months of the offline program?
A: Yes, you will live in Switzerland for the duration of the offline program.
Q: Do I need a visa?
A: Depending on your nationality, a visa may be required to enter Switzerland from abroad. We are in contact with the local authorities to smoothen the visa application.
Q: When will the offline program arrive and depart?
A: You will arrive in St. Gallen, Switzerland at the beginning of January 2022, a few days prior to the start of the program. The program will end in June 2022 shortly after which you will fly back home.
To be announced
Q: Where will I live?
A: All START Fellowship participants that are selected to come to the offline program in St. Gallen will be offered common accommodation in the city of St. Gallen, where they will live close to our facilities and the other Fellows.
Q: What do I need to bring?
A: A list of crucial belongings to bring with will be sent to the chosen applicants prior to their trip to Switzerland.
Q: Do locals speak English?
A: While German is prominent in the city of St. Gallen, English is a commonly spoken language by locals. Students and program-related members all work and communicate in English.
Q: How much pocket money do I need?
A: While START Fellowship and its partners will cover all living costs, such as dining expenses, you will need to have some pocket money for any additional expenses you may have. Anything outside the program will be at your own expense. You can find more information about average prices in St. Gallen here: https://costof.live/cost-of-living/in/st-gallen.
Q: Can I choose my mentor?
A: START Fellowship will offer a pool of mentors with various expertise, allowing Fellows to benefit from a large-ranged, high-quality input. We will give you the chance to speak to multiple mentors, after which a reasonable matching process will take place. Each Fellow will be closely in touch with a mentor throughout the program and will meet with them at regular intervals. We will together make sure each participant is matched with the most fitting mentor. However, Fellows will not be restricted to one mentor alone through the duration of the program.
Q: What if we don't get along?
A: Updates on the effectiveness of your collaboration with a mentor and your compatibility will be taken into consideration and adjustments will be made if necessary. We wish to assure that you have access to a mentor who you can achieve the best possible results with.
Q: Can I contact my mentor after the program ends?
A: After the program, you will have the opportunity to stay in touch with your mentor via an online portal. This will be set up and used as a communication channel for you and your mentors. Here you will be able to set meetings, ask questions and report back on your progress after your return home.